Saturday, March 15, 2008

When God Whispers

God sometimes speaks directly through His inspired Word, sometimes through the lips or writings of others. I've been taught by wonderful people throughout my life, and I've also been told before that God encouraged or reprimanded others through me. I guess it's always been happening. Yet some things have gotten particularly poignant for me in the last two weeks.

God speaks when He chooses to speak, often using people to do so. It may be a harsh word, or it may be a gentle whisper. It often comes from people as imperfect as could be, yet still, He speaks.

He's been whispering so much to me, and unexpectedly, through me.

When I was beginning to wonder if my poems and compositions were becoming merely rhythmic rantings of personal frustrations, several readers were humble enough to tell me that those heartfelt utters were just what they needed to hear.

Just when I felt I had no right to guide other Christians any more, after messing up myself so, God gave me opportunities to encourage younger friends to avoid the pitfalls I have seen or experienced. Just when obeying God in interpersonal matters seems like the hardest thing in the world, He opened my eyes to see so many faithful friends around me still, caring and praying for me every single day.

And when, for one reason or another, I became more discouraged than I had ever been about preserving my heart until the right time for one who would desire it, deserve it, and earn it with a pure and undivided heart of his own...I received an e-mail from someone I have never met, an e-mail which tearily put me on the right track once more, reminding me that my heart is in His hands.

Some whispers were not as pleasant.

When I met a church member that I haven't seen for years, he told me he had been reading my blog...only to add in an unsympathetic tone, "You are just too melodramatic. It's not that bad."

That hurt, but it was the truth. God does not want me to wallow in self-pity. Seeing His imprints in my life was one thing, indulging in sentimentality was another. He wants me to do more than just dramatize my life. He calls me to shine for Him.

So many whispers in so little time...

And when I began my personal study on II Corinthians, He whispered: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God...(for all that) was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God."

He whispers love, He whispers discipline, He whispers grace.
He whispers so much, when we are sensitive, weak, and obedient enough to hear him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A blog is a personal space where you write what you know, what you see, what you hear, what you have learned, what you have experienced, what you feel. You are supposed to be "melodramatic" or "sentimental" when you write your blogs. You are not writing an essay or a disseration.

By being expressive, whether with your words, actions or emotions, you can point to God's wonderful works in your life. How else can we praise our wonderful God? Just look at the collections of Psalms in the Bible. They express a whole lot wider range of emotions.

Do continue to write about God's imprints in your life - always for His glory.

Jocelyn said...

"God speaks when He chooses to speak, often using people to do so. It may be a harsh word, or it may be a gentle whisper."

Well said...I can relate to that. Recently God's been speaking things that are a bit heavy and I know I must accept His word because His word is never spoken in vain. Thanks for this post and may God continue to bless you and others through you!